Monday, October 17, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday & Linky Party - Ruffled Fall Hand Towels for Under $2

Hello there lovely bloggers! 

So, you guys know I have been like crazy busy lately, working on my big order. Since I'm still trying to squeeze in projects where I can (if only to keep my sanity!!), I thought I would resurrect a tutorial from the past. Of course, I re-made the project to be a little more "Fall-ish" and to show you that I'm not cheating over here, haha!

My all-time most viewed tutorial is...



What do you think? Pretty cute huh? Not your "traditional" fall decor, but somehow it just feels right. 
I don't know what it is about these towels, but people love them. They're inexpensive to make, super duper easy, and totally customizable depending on what you have laying around in your scrap pile.
 Okay... so I see why it's #1. ;)


Ready for the tutorial??

~ Dressed Up Hand Towels ~

Wal*Mart, 2 pack, $1.68. 
SCORE!

My fabric was a little scrap left over from a jelly roll, ribbon was a scrap from my white felt wreath, and the lace stuff a scrap from a ribbon scrap pack I bought at Hobby Lobby ages ago. You don't need much of anything to do this project, these particular towels are only 15" wide to give you an idea.

First, lay your pieces out across the short side of your towel to make sure they are long enough with a bit leftover at each end to fold under and hem. I left about an inch on each end.

{UPDATE: If you're doing the ruffled version like my new set, use about twice the length of fabric as I mentioned above, so that you have plenty of ruffle room. Just run the top edge of the strip through your sewing machine on the longest stitch length, and it will ruffle right up before your eyes.}


I started with my fabric since I knew I wanted it on the bottom. I planned to sew the ribbon and the lace over the top of the raw edges of the fabric so I wouldn't have to do any more hemming than necessary.

I folded under and pinned the edges down first, then used the wonky little zig-zag stitch 
to attach it to the towel. Clean edges, pretty little ziggy zaggy.

{UPDATE: no need to baste down the sides of the fabric if you're using a ruffle... 
just tack it down along the top edge of the ruffle and let it ruffle away at the edges.}

Next, I pinned and basted down the long edges. I know I'm going to be attaching the ribbon and lace 
over the fabric, so I mostly just need it to stay down and in place. The real reinforcing will come later.


Now more pinning for the lace...
{Seriously, what is that stuff? I have no idea what to call it, so I'm just going with lace for now.}
And again with the wonky zig zag stitch to make sure this stays in place and can be machine washed.


I did the same thing for the ribbon on top that I did for the fabric: 
Pinned and basted on both the top and bottom long edge. 
Somehow I managed to miss taking the pic on this one so you'll just have to use your imagination, haha!

Iron out any wrinkles, and ta-da! Pretty little dish towel!


They're SO easy, and you already have an extra towel, so why not make it a pair?


 Two is better than one anyway, I think. :)


Since I made these two, I've been digging around in my scrap box for other coordinating colors to make more. I could seriously solve my entire house-wide towel problem with what I find in my scrap box. :) 
But wouldn't they make great gifts? Housewarming parties, hostess gifts, wedding shower, holidays... 

I'm so excited that our little linky party is growing so large. Thanks to you all for participating and spreading the word!! Grab yourself a button if you're linking up this week, and you can find all the parties I'll be linking up to this week up top under the "linky parties!" tab. There's lots of great spots on that list so definitely go check them out, and let me know if you have a party that I can add to my list!

Now it's your turn! 
Link up your projects below, and grab a button for your project post. 
Be sure to visit other links on the list and share the love! :)
Today's Creative Blog

Have a great week!!

XOXO





9 comments:

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Well and beautifully done! I like to embellish towels, it really takes them up a notch. Your instructions are very well written. LOVE the black trim and fabric combinations you've chosen.

Vanessa said...

Hi, Rachelle
Thanks for hosting.

Vanessa

Babblings and More said...

Thanks for hosting!
Brooke from babblingsandmore.blogspot.com

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Great towels. Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Cute idea! I will definitely have to try this!

Unknown said...

Beautiful hand towels! This is my first time here!! Thanks for hosting!

Marie said...

Those are darling and so easy! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see you again this Wednesday!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Really beautiful towels, they could sold in a fancy smanchy boutique they look so nice!

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

I featured you today at my Hookin Up with HoH Party!

Congrats!! Feel free to stop on by and grab a button if you'd like.

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...